Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Translation and news

Good morning!

As you may already be aware, I sometimes do interviews with people from the publishing industry on this blog; I’ve previously interviewed a cover designer, two literary agents, and an audiobook narrator. (You can read them here.) Next, I’ll be interviewing one of my lovely translators, Janet, and asking her about her career. If you have any questions about translation – what’s fun or challenging about it, what the process involves, how long it takes, anything at all – then let me know by commenting on this post by 20th April, and I'll pass them on to Janet. 

In book news, I'm just tidying up Book 3 before I send it to my editor, Alexa, for her first notes at the end of the month. I'm also working on a mini-project; researching Book 4; preparing to judge the BBC Young Writers' Award; sketching out an idea for a new, unrelated novel, and starting to look into renting my first apartment. Phew!

9 comments:

  1. Dear Janet,

    What's the most frustrating thing about translating The Bone Season specifically?

    Thanks,
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with book three! :) I just got The Mime Order in my hands a few weeks ago. Hope to get into it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it now! Just finished it and OH MY GOD. I need Book 3 now.

      On a side note, I feel so unaccomplished in life knowing Samantha has begun this amazing series and is my age. What have I done with my life? :( (Samantha, I'm in Oxford if you ever want to share some of your super powers.)

      Delete
  3. - How many different languages do you know, and which lang. took the longest to learn?
    - What was the first book you ever translated?
    - What kind of education/college degree is required to become a translator?

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. - Do you know any reputable online companies that translate novels? If so, which ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I want to ask, how long it will take to translate The Mime order in German?
    I've red it in english and I must say, Great Job Samantha, nearly such good AS TBS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's been translated now! I'm fairly sure it's out in July.

      Delete
    2. Hello Miss Samantha, I just want ask when will be Book 3 please?
      Thank you

      Delete