Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Out With the Old

Hello!

Apologies for several weeks of silence – I've been incredibly busy with Book 3, Mime Order publicity, and resolving the stomach pain I mentioned in my last post. I am absolutely thrilled that The Mime Order became not only a #10 Sunday Times bestseller, but went straight to #11 on the New York Times bestseller list, too. I really wasn't expecting that. Thank you so, so much to everyone who bought or pre-ordered, and I hope you enjoyed the book if you've read it. Do let me know what you thought!

My tour in the States was fantastic. I did a great event with Sarah J. Maas in Pennsylvania, followed by talks in Tennessee, Missouri, Utah, and California. What was particularly amazing was that several people drove for hours, sometimes from different states, to come and see me in the bookshops. (Thank you, all of you!) While I was on the road, I had the privilege of visiting Borderlands Books in San Francisco before it closes. It's such a quirky bookshop, with dedicated and knowledgeable staff, and I'm very sorry to see it go. Once I was back to Britain, it was straight to Scotland for a research trip in Edinburgh, where Book 3 is partially set. I spent four days exploring, riding on tour buses, and scribbling away, having the time of my life. It's such a beautiful, inspiring city, layered with history, like London. I'm looking forward to reinventing it as the Scion Citadel of Edinburgh, and to sharing it with you when the next book is published.

On Saturday, I went to hospital to have my appendix removed and my pains investigated via a laparoscopy, a form of keyhole surgery. I was fairly nervous, as I haven't had an operation since having my tonsils were removed when I was four, but the nursing staff made me feel at ease for the whole of my stay. First I had to put on my operation gown, highly fashionable foam slippers, and white compression stockings to prevent deep-vein thrombosis. Then I was walked down to the operating theatre and given a general anaesthetic, which knocked me out midway through saying 'Wow, that feels weir—'. When I woke up, I was in the recovery room with an oxygen mask clamped over my mouth, and everything was swirling around with all the charm and bliss of the world's worst hangover. After being wheeled back to my room, I had to clamber from the trolley to my hospital bed – which, when you've just had surgical instruments and a camera poking around near your intestines, isn't quite as easy as it sounds. Bizarrely, I also had a sharp pain in my right shoulder, which was due to gas being pumped into my stomach during the laparoscopy. The gas gives the surgeon more room to work, but it can become trapped and cause excess pain. Then it was just rest and tests until I was discharged.

As it turned out, my appendix was the culprit all along. It was swollen and stuck in an unusual position, so it had to go. I'm hoping, now that the offending area is gone, that my stomach pains have been resolved for good. I can walk, albeit stiffly, and I should be back to full health within about two weeks. After having antibiotics in hospital, I'm on a course of painkillers and anti-inflammatories while I heal. All that will remain is three scars: the largest by my navel, and two smaller marks on the left side of my stomach, where the surgical tools, laparoscope, and a tube for gas were inserted into my abdomen. I'm going to try and get back to writing Book 3 tomorrow, as I'm still aiming to hit my target of mid-April for finishing the first draft. Onward!

My next event is, appropriately, at Seven Dials on Thursday at 6pm. I'll be doing a free reading, with complimentary Prosecco and popcorn, at the Book Exchange in Shorts Gardens. Hope to see some of you there!

11 comments:

  1. You may be pleased to hear that Borderlands has actually managed to find a way to stay open. As outlined at their blog, passionate fans of the bookstore suggested that supporters act as financial sponsors, and enough people felt strongly enough about this to raise the necessary funds. So Borderlands lives to fight another day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's wonderful! I'm so pleased to hear it.

      Delete
  2. I'm very excited to see this new citadel in the next book! You've done such a fab job making London into one, that I'm sure Edinburgh will be just as great. And I'm glad that you've discovered the culprit of your stomach pains! It can't have been fun to go under the knife, so to speak, but I hope that you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm already feeling a bit better.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you figured out what the culprit was and are on your way to finally feeling better! Nice slippers, haha.

    I look forward to hearing more about book 3!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Samantha! I'm glad you're feeling better! I tweeted about finishing The Mime Order and I have to say, I'm still feeling a little empty that it's over. I can remember seeing the hardback copy of The Bone Season when it released in the book store that I work in and thinking "Well, this sounds awesome!" After months of pondering over it, I finally purchased it to read. Best decision ever!! I have managed to keep both BS and MO fully in stock and I continue to recommend it to customers every chance I get. I want them to become lost in the world of Paige just as much as I did. I'm so thrilled that I've discovered you and your writings because I haven't been passionate about a book in a very long time. I hope that one day you'll be back in the states where I'm able to meet you or even just be apart of an event related to the series.

    I was also wondering if "On the Merits of Unnaturalness" is available anywhere else? I missed the pre-order special and would love to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better soon! I had my appendix removed when I was 11 years old. It was one of the worst pain I've ever experienced. I remember my father asking me before I went into surgery if I was scared, but I was in so much pain I told him I didn't care what they did to me, as long as they did something. Mine was about to burst then. Luckily they got it before it did. You'll feel like you're in slow motion compared to everyone else, and then you will be fully recovered.

    I loved The Mime Order! I work at a public library and my co-worker read it as well. One of our other co-workers overheard us talking about it and was very confused when we were discussing buzzers. I'm pretty sure she thought we were crazy. But that happens a lot at the public library. I'm excited to read book 3! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying you feel better... I'm here in pain too, because I finished the book and feel the withdrawl wahhhh!!! Hoping your health allows you to finish book 3 SOON SOON SUPERSONIC SOON

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Samantha! Hopefully you are fully recovered now. I'm your new reader. I started with the bone season on the evening of the 20th of march and finished with the mime order on 30th with the break of 2 days.I feel unable to detach myself from the story. I don't know if the 3rd book is published yet. When can it be possible to read it? And what time will it be available in India? I have become really fond of you and your writing. looking forward to your reply.

    ReplyDelete