Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Mime Time

Hello!

At last, The Mime Order is out in the wild, and it got to #4 in The Times's hardback bestseller list! It has also got some absolutely lovely reviews, both from bloggers and from publications. Thank you so, so much to all of you for being so patient and enthusiastic after the delayed release date, and I hope you all enjoy the result. Don't forget to check my refresher if you're about to start The Mime Order and need to jog your memory.

A few days ago I was hospitalised for two nights after having stomach pains and discomfort for about four months, which suddenly peaked while I was performing at BookSlam on Thursday. The next day, I checked myself into hospital and ended up staying for two days to be monitored. One good thing that came out of this is that my phobias of blood tests and having my blood pressure taken have finally been beaten, as I had so many! Sadly I'm still not much closer to finding out what's wrong, but at least anything serious has been ruled out.

Photo © Katherine Webber

Fortunately, on Saturday, my surgeon let me out of hospital for a few hours to do my event at the Sheldonian Theatre with Andy Serkis and Jonathan Cavendish, co-founders of the Imaginarium Studios, who hold the film rights to The Bone Season and its sequels. Andy actually read a passage from the book, which was amazing – aside from the audiobook, I haven't heard anyone else read my work out loud. I spoke about writing The Mime Order, while Andy and Jonathan discussed their ideas for how to bring the world of Scion to the big screen, along with the various next-generation storytelling techniques they're looking into to make all of Imaginarium's films visually engaging: performance capture, virtual reality (à la Oculus Rift), and so on. I love these ideas; in my mind, nothing is too "out there" to be considered. We learned that the screenwriter has delivered a first draft to 20th Century Fox, which I haven't seen yet, as he wants it to be cleaned up a little more before I take a look. Jonathan thinks that the film could be ready to go into production by the end of 2016. Although that seems like a long way away, in the grand scheme of things it's a relatively short period of time, given how long some films spend in production hell. I'm looking forward to seeing where 2015 takes this project.

I'm now hard at work on Book 3 in the Bone Season series, which I aim to finish in time for publication next year. I've just hit 80,000 words, which I estimate is just over the halfway point. If I keep up my current pace, I should have finished a first draft by the end of April at the latest, which gives me plenty of time to edit the manuscript over the remainder of 2015. The book does have a working title, but as it could still change, I won't tell you. I will tell you that Paige will finally be leaving London in Book 3 and visiting two other Scion citadels in Britain. You'll get to see what clairvoyant culture is like outside London, and as always, there will be new characters, old friends, and fresh threats. 

My publication gift from Bloomsbury,
made by David Mann

One thing I'm trying to do in the Bone Season series is to give the reader a very different experience in each book. I don't like to repeat the same formula over seven books, and I shy away from sticking to one clear-cut genre. My aim is to make it difficult for you to guess what will happen in each installment. The Bone Season was what I might call a "jailbreak" story, much of which centred around Warden and Paige's relationship, while The Mime Order has a central murder mystery that The Bone Season lacked. Book 3 is no different. This one is shaping up to be more of a revolutionary tale, with Scion itself as the primary antagonist. I picture the later three books focusing more closely on the Rephaim, but for now, Paige's fight is with the anchor.

Next week I'll be in the States for my Mime Order tour, and I hope some of you will be able to come! Dates, booking details and locations can be found here. I'll also be speaking in Waterstones Birmingham this Thursday at 7.30pm. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god that sounds horrible - heal up and get better soon!! Also I just finished the Mime Order and all I can say is that you did a fantastic job! So much faith in you for the rest of the series. Can't wait for book 3.

    (by the way that is the sickest publication gift!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you'll find out what causes your pains. Stomach pain really sucks. But it's awesome that you have made so much progress with the third book! :) Good luck with writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super huge fan of the books, looking forward to the third. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete