Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Scribbles and signings

Hello!

It's been just over a week since The Bone Season was published! Incredible. 

This blog post is about signed books. Before I got published I had no idea that they were such a big thing, but I've been getting a lot of requests to sign copies of The Bone Season. Read on to find out more about how you can get your copy scribbled on.



First, don't pay a fortune

A signed, limited hardcover copy of The Bone Season from Goldsboro Books (which was specially embossed with numbers,) is currently being sold for a whopping £500 (approx. $770, A$860) on eBay. I've also heard of traders asking for £200 or more for signed hardbacks from the Edinburgh Book Festival. 

Traders are perfectly within their rights to sell books for this kind of money, but remember, they only paid £20 for that book. I'd suggest, unless you particularly want an embossed Goldsboro edition, that you don't buy a 1st ed hardback from eBay – go out and buy one from your local bookshop, right now. You'll be supporting the people who have actually made the book, supporting the bookshop itself, and paying a hell of a lot less money.




How can I tell if I have a first edition?


Check the copyright page at the front of the book. If there is a 1 in the series of numbers, you have a first edition. In the US, it will also say 'First U.S. edition 2013'.



Places I've signed at

If you're in these countries and want to buy a signed first edition, you can check at the following bookshops, where I've recently signed stock. 

London 


Blackwell's Charing Cross | SOLD OUT
Goldsboro Books | SOLD OUT
Watermark Books, King's Cross | SOLD OUT

Waterstones Covent Garden |  SOLD OUT
Waterstones Kensington | SOLD OUT
Waterstones Piccadilly | SOLD OUT 


Midlands

Waterstones Chesterfield | 
SOLD OUT
Waterstones Derby | SOLD OUT

Waterstones Doncaster | 
SOLD OUT
Waterstones Meadowhall | SOLD OUT 
Waterstones Nottingham | SOLD OUT 
Waterstones Sheffield | SOLD OUT 


The North

Waterstones Manchester (Deansgate) | SOLD OUT


Scotland 

Edinburgh Bookshop | SOLD OUT
Edinburgh International Book Festival | SOLD OUT



Oxford

Blackwell's Oxford | Available to order | +44 (0)1865 792792


Dublin

Dubray Books, Grafton Street | SOLD OUT
Easons, O'Connell Street | SOLD OUT


I'll be continuing to update this list, so keep an eye on it. If you ring any of these shops and they say they've sold out, I'd really appreciate if if you could let me know so I can strike them off. Thank you!



Getting yours signed

I know lots of you have already bought and read The Bone Season and would really like your hardback signed and personalised, and I also know that not all of you are able to reach one of the bookshops listed above. And I would love to sign them for you.

Although I'm very willing to sign books, I hope you'll understand that there needs to be a proper system in place for us to handle a large number of hardbacks, especially if they're being sent from overseas. Unfortunately, it's not quite as easy as Bloomsbury being able to sell signed books straight to buyers – their warehouse is run by a separate company, and the books distributed by Macmillan, so logistically it's not nearly as simple as it sounds. However, I'm very grateful to my readers for being so dedicated, so I'm pleased to say that Bloomsbury and I have come up with a trial system for getting your books signed.     

The strategy Bloomsbury has come up with is that hardbacks are sent in to the office, collected for a few weeks, then I sign them all in one sitting.
This first signing session is open until 30 September 2013, so hardbacks must have arrived at Bloomsbury's UK office by that date. If all goes well, we'll hopefully do one again in the near future.

So, what do you need to do?

[1] 

Books should be sent to the following address: 

Eleanor Weil 
Bloomsbury Publishing
50 Bedford Square
London
WC1B 2DP
England


[2]

What to include:


Along with the book, please enclose a note detailing what message or name you'd like in the hardback as well as my signature (some people like me to write a line from the book, for example). Make sure names are written clearly, in block capitals, so I don't spell them incorrectly. 

Important: You must also include a stamped addressed envelope that will cover the full costs of postage for the book to be sent back to you.


[3] 


Please read the note below from Bloomsbury carefully before you send your book:


  • Bloomsbury is not responsible for returning any books where a stamped addressed envelope covering full postage hasn’t been provided.

  • Bloomsbury cannot accept responsibility for any copies that are lost in the post, misdirected or that aren’t received by Bloomsbury for any reason

  • Only copies received by Bloomsbury by 30 September 2013 will be signed by Samantha Shannon.

  • Any copies that arrive after 30 September will be returned to the sender, provided that a stamped addressed envelope covering full costs of postage is enclosed. 

  • Samantha will sign the copies on a date at the start of October. You will receive your book by the end of October 2013.

52 comments:

  1. isnt it simpler to buy it already signed directly from who ever sells it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but many places have sold out and not everyone can reach the bookshops with signed stock.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Samantha
    I’m very happy for you. I understand perfectly your feelings. I write as well, although another kind of fictional. I’ m Portuguese and I am 55 years old. I was a teacher but now I am already retired because I have M.S. One of my occupations is to write. I adore to do it and I presented some of my scripts to some literary contests, but without any feedback until now. It´s difficult for someone totally unknown like I am to come out from anonymity, even I had much curiosity to understand what people thought about my writing. Anyway, what I want fundamentally is to congratulate you and to wish you all the best in your future life as a writer for the happiness of your readers. I didn’t read yet your book, but when it comes to Portugal I’ll buy it. Love. Jesus Cadete Damata

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesus,

      I agree it's difficult when you're an unknown author – I wish you lots of luck with your writing. Hopefully I can visit Portugal one day!

      Delete
  3. Warwick Davies signed books purchased directly from his website. I have purchased an eBook copy and would love to buy two hardbacks but the cost of sending them then paying for them to be returned is cost prohibitive.

    Surely a better idea for those who haven't bought hard copies would be to purchase directly from Bloomsbury with post and packing added which would be more cost effective.

    What Bloomsbury have done is fine for those who have purchased but what about those that haven't?

    They are only encouraging third party sellers in this respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mikey,

      We're still in the very early stages of publication, and to be honest I had no idea there would be such a high demand for signed copies, so this is just an initial trial system for people who have already bought the book and are willing to send their copy to me to be signed. I agree it would be good to have a system for people to buy signed books directly – I will discuss it with the relevant department.

      Samantha

      Delete
    2. Hi Mikey – just spoke to Bloomsbury and it's not nearly as simple as it sounds. The warehouse that stores the books is handled by a separate company. It's not as easy as Bloomsbury staff just being able to accept payment in the office then distributing copies, unfortunately. Hope the current system will suffice.

      Delete
    3. Maybe Bloomsbury should contact Warwick Davies and find out how he does it. As I said £12 to post books then £12 to return is very cost prohibitive. Thanks for trying Samantha :-)

      Delete
    4. I've checked his page and it doesn't look like his publisher (Aurum Press) handles signed copies. It's all done through his own website – I imagine he has an assistant or team to deal with orders, which I don't have. I do appreciate this system is cost-prohibitive but it's the best I can offer, along with letting people know where signed copies have been left.

      Delete
    5. You're doing your best, more than most established writers do. Maybe I'll see you at a future signing.

      Thanks again for trying! It is appreciated.

      Regards,

      Mikey :)

      Delete
  4. Great news, was hoping to get a couple of signed copies from a friend of mine who lives in Bath, who was planning on going to the Independent bookshop event in September With Samantha Shannon, Only that when he went into the Bath bookshop recently to ensure he had some copies reserved in advance in case the store sold out before the event, he was told that if he wanted any 1st HB's they would be £24.00 each unsigned. Needless to say he didn't buy any! He couldn't understand why an unsigned £12.99 book was being sold in a UK bookshop at double the retail price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All depends on the bookshop, I think – some offer discounts and some don't. I'm surprised it was £24 as the recommended UK retail price is £12.99, as you say, but I'm sure the Bath bookshop has its reasons!

      Delete
  5. I am happy to get my book signed but unclear about how to do postage back to US from England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice – when you get the postage to send the book, you can also ask for the same postage to be provided separately (usually in stamp form) for it to be sent back. You can then stick these onto an envelope big enough to hold the hardback and send it with the book. Hope that makes sense!

      Delete
    2. I understand that, just wondered if US postage will bring it back.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for this information, Samantha! I was wondering the same. I'll get my book in the mail next week.

      Delete
    4. If the book is being (re)mailed in the UK, the postage needs to be UK postage. A return envelope with US international postage would not be accepted in the UK Postal system.

      Delete
    5. Oh, I see what you mean now! Sorry, my fault. I'll try my best to find out for you – just sent a message to enquire with Bloomsbury. I think some countries do an International Reply Coupon (IRC) but pretty sure the US and UK no longer do them.

      Delete
    6. I just located the signed book on uk.ebid.net for only £19.99 + Postage charge. Wasn't sure that I shall mention it in this blog but thought if anyone want to buy @ £19.99.

      Delete
  6. It's great that you're willing to do all this for your readers, Samantha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that readers are willing to support me!

      Delete
  7. It's amazing that you + Bloomsbury are working to find a way to have a lot of us get our books signed. As for me, perhaps you'll be at BEA next year and I can get it signed then! More important to me than having that signed finished copy is the chance to give you a high five/hug (whichever is less creepy) for writing something so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a thought Samantha would it be possible to drop the book of in person at the reception of Bloomsbury Publishing 50 Bedford Square London marked for the attention of and then collect once signed,to save on postage and risk of damage in the mail?

    cheers

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely to see someone who genuinely cares so much about their fans especially whilst in the midst of a busy launch/tour and nice to have support to act on this from the publisher too :) Not managed to get my copy yet - having a think about what's best/most cost effective for me :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I do! You guys are the best. And don't worry, I'm sure you'll find one. x

      Delete
  10. Hi Samantha,

    Would you be willing to sign paperbacks as well? I won a paperback in a giveaway before it was put on shelves, and I would love it if you could sign it.

    Thanks!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I hope you wear your wrist brace that day ;-). It's very generous of you to organise this. Thanks very much!

    I don't suppose Bloomsbury Australia has convinced you to come for a visit? :D I live in hope.

    CONGRATULATIONS ON BECOMING A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR!!!! SQUEEEE!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem!

      I haven't yet been invited to Australia, but hopefully soon. And thank you!

      Delete
  12. I'll just have to petition them until they send that invite. We'll get you a Koala to hold :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Talking of getting books signed Is there any chance of any public events in London. I believe that most of the Events to date have been up North!

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,

      I'm trying to get Bloomsbury to sort out a public event in London. I'll let you know when I have details.

      Delete
  14. Hi Samantha,
    I saw the review for your book in People magazine. They were very nice and informative in the review. I got the first three chapters on iBook as a sample and was wondering if you are going to be in the States, maybe even in Boston, anytime in the near future? If you aren't coming for awhile I'll probably just get the iBook and wait for you to come over here for a signed copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,

      Good to hear they were kind about it! I'm afraid I'm not due to go to Boston, but I'm going to be in New York City on 12 September, doing a reading and signing at 92Y. You can book tickets for the event here: http://www.92y.org/Event/Samantha-Shannon.aspx

      Samantha

      Delete
  15. Hi Samantha. My name is Imogen Elizabeth Faith -although it is my pseudonym - I can't wait to read your book! Just read the article in the Sun newspaper. Any tips for a 15 year old aspiring writer currently writing a fully planned out 10 part series? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Imogen!

      Great that you're planning out such a big series. This blog has a lot of advice in it; you can use the 'blogging about' links in the right sidebar to target particular topics (e.g. planning). My biggest piece of advice, though, would be "don't give up at the first hurdle". It can be a really tough thing to write a book and try to get it published, and you might not always succeed straight away, but power through and always believe in yourself. Lots of luck to you in your writing.

      Samantha x

      Delete
  16. Samantha,
    you are such an inspiration. As a 19 year old writer who is working on her second novel, I see you as a true inspiration. I can't wait to get my hands on your book!!

    http://immabeama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ama – thank you. I'm so glad to have inspired you. I wish you all the luck in the world with your novel. Dream big!

      Samantha x

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on being a new York times best seller!! I hope one day I can go overseas and get it signed or maybe the nest one idk hopefully gooodluck your the best author I've ever read honestly! Good luck with the book and hopefully movies not to long from now! Thank you for being a writer!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Samantha, the book has really taken off here in the states. My local Barnes and Noble only had 4th printings. Thanks to you and Bloomsbury for the generous signing offer. I have three copies (mine and 2 friends) I wanted to send. They would be boxed, but I would include a return address label and a cashier's check in pounds for the return postage. Will that work, or do I need to send each book separately?

    Cheers
    Jeff Coffield

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,

      Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this. Did you send the books in the end?

      Samantha

      Delete
  19. So could I convince you to stop in Iowa City, Iowa while you're Ibhave the states next week. :) I just finished your AMAZING book!!! Love. Love. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to come to Iowa some day! And so glad you enjoyed the book.

      Delete
  20. Hi, I got your signed book from Goldsboro awhile ago. I think the cover is brilliant and captures the whole book very nicely. Is it possible to get the book signed by the cover designer?
    I can drop the book off at the office before the deadline if that can be a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      I don't see any harm in asking, but that would be up to the designer. His name is David Mann – perhaps ring Bloomsbury's UK office (020 7631 5600) and ask?

      Samantha

      Delete
  21. Congratulations on your book. There was a fight in our house over who got to read it first. Did get it a little late and emailed Bloomsbury about return postage to the US. Have not heard back from them. We were thinking of doing the same as Jeff (above) and just sending a money order for return postage but didn't want to take a chance and am now running out of time. Any chance of you coming to Chicago, IL. USA for a signing? If not I'll keep an eye open for future send in opportunities. Again, GREAT book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean,

      I'm so sorry for not getting back to you on this – I'm just catching up on my blog comments after travelling. Did you send the books in the end? Otherwise I'm sure I'll be in Chicago at some point – just hold on to your copies!

      Samantha

      Delete
  22. When will the books be returned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as they're signed. I'm signing the last ones tomorrow.

      Delete
  23. My book says First U.S. Edition 2013 but it doesn't have a 1 in the number series so is it a first edition or not?

    ReplyDelete